Platte Valley School District RE3 was managed under Diversified Consulting Solutions (DCS) by Jeff Reed and Aubree Thomson. Jeff and Aubree served as the owner’s representative for this project with Jeff as the principal and Aubree as the assistant project manager.
Platte Valley School District RE3 was constructed through an integrated design process consistent with the Owner’s requirements and Colorado Department of Education guidelines and standards. DCS met the goal of achieving LEED Gold designation within the project budget and schedule parameters, and they took pride in holding themselves and all contractors to the highest performance standards. This project was successfully completed in August 2014.
This project consolidated instruction between two existing campuses, Revere Junior-Senior High School in Ovid, CO, and Platte Valley Elementary in Sedgwick, CO. These two schools were combined to create a single PK-12 campus at the Ovid site. All facilities at the Sedwick campus were demolished, and the facilities in Ovid were renovated to accommodate the consolidated PK-12 program. The project included nine-classroom additions for preschool through 6th grade, a music room addition with an enclosed link to the shop area, a weight room addition adjacent to the wrestling room, and an elevator and emergency stair exit. The project scope included:
- Management of a $10.9M BEST grant budget.
- Full management of design consultants, general contractor, and commissioning agent, as well as material inspections, environmental concerns, hazmat studies, FF&E, and construction process through occupancy.
- Exterior Scope: Clean and tuck point of the existing masonry, addition of new roof membrane and upgrade of insulation to meet LEED Gold/CO-CHPS requirements, removal of infill, replacement of classroom windows to match the size of the original window openings, replacement of all windows with low-e windows, correction of roof drain issues, addition of new doors and hardware.
- Interior Scope: Removal of asbestos, demolish interior elements to accommodate new interior design, and reconfigure floor plans along with two locker rooms.
- Safety: Addition of new water taps, fire hydrants, and fire sprinkler system; addition of new emergency notification system that included a new alarm system with automatic 911 notifications and a PA system with speakers in all classrooms and hallways.
- Electrical: Replacement of electrical distribution system and installation of energy efficient lighting.
- HVAC: Addition of high-performance energy-efficient system incorporating renewable components with automated heating controls, ventilation systems, and backup heating system.
- Plumbing: Modification of drain, waste, vent and domestic water distribution systems to accommodate improvements; addition of new restrooms, hydronic heating and plumbing fixtures; replacement of science room gas, exhaust and emergency shower; installation of new service to support full kitchen.
- ADA Accessibility: Addition of an elevator and ramp access, which provides access to restrooms on second level.
- Technology Upgrades: Addition of dedicated telecomm room (MDF), two IDF rooms, alarm panels, tele/fiber optic cabling, wireless network, and connection to owner-provided smart board and projectors.
- Upgrades: Upgrade of lab equipment, including vent hoods, chemical storage and safety equipment. Addition of security access control for five doors with full control card swipe, and monitoring for all other doors that includes cameras with digital recording.
- Equipment: Addition of a fully-functioning commercial grade kitchen, performance stage, curtain/mobile stage, projection screens and TV brackets, retractable bleachers, wrestling mat hoist, furnishings, window coverings and displays.
- Site Improvements: Numerous site improvements that include a bus loop, parent drop-off, parking areas, hard and soft play areas, playgrounds for preschool/kindergarten and elementary school, woodshop project work area, landscape, site lighting, and signage fencing.