As the South Adams County Fire Department (SACFD) successfully transitioned from a volunteer department with a 75-year history to a combined department with more than 50 professional firefighters the administrative needs have grown as well. South Adams County Fire chose DCS as their ongoing Owners Representative to develop their new Headquarters Building at the Commerce City Civic Center.
The growth of the department also increased the need for leadership, administrative and support staff. The previous administrative office was located in a 1,200 SF space above Fire Station #3 and was sized for 6 staff. Prior to the new Headquarters, there were more than 13 Chief and Administrative staff at Station #3. The project was initiated following a department Feasibility Assessment completed by DCS in 2014. This assessment identified the need for office and support space for a growing staff that would eventually exceed 27 FTE. Since completing the new building, the staff has grown to nearly 20 FTE.
The building is not only the business offices for SACFD, it’s also a homage to the 75-year history of the department. The entry experience includes a fitting memorial to the heroes of the department that were lost in the line of duty. Upon entering the building, visitors see a circa 1929 antique engine that has been in the department from day one. Additional displays, photos and equipment round out a museum that undeniably reflects the legacy and pride of the department and its people.
The project began with acquisition of the ground and a minor subdivision that created the ¾ acre site. DCS helped the City and SACFD create agreements to address development, maintenance, and shared parking. The SACFD is a 12,500 SF 2-story facility with a partial basement. It is oriented with primary southern and western exposures and features high-performance glazing to accentuate the views of downtown Denver and the Front Range. DCS is proud to have been an integral part of the SACFD project team and honored to deliver this amazing facility that will support the growth of the department and development of its personnel.
Full-service Owner’s Representation including the follow:
- Program Identification and Standardization
- Site Analysis
- Real Estate Transactional Support
- Facilitation of Development and Parking/Maintenance Agreements
- Development and Management of Master Budget and Schedule
- City of Commerce City Subdivision and Development Plan
- Dry Utility Coordination
- Design Management
- Construction Oversight
- Solicitation, Procurement and Contract Administration: Survey, geotech, environmental analysis, 3rd party inspections, materials testing, architect, contractor …
- Management of FF&E process: identification, procurement and installation
- Utility coordination with Excel Energy and Comcast
- Coordination with City Public Works Department and South Adams County Water and Sanitation District