The goal of this project was to accommodate growth of not only Bromley East Charter School but also help to alleviate some overcrowding within District 27J schools. Accordingly, this project was started with the primary intent of completing the classroom wing and auditorium additions, while not fully knowing if the District bond measure would pass to complete the remaining scope. Once the bond measure passed, additional funds were allocated to Bromley East to finish the remaining scope that included a new auxiliary gym and the interior remodel of office and cafeteria spaces.
This project consisted of three additions and a remodel of administration and cafeteria areas.
- Auditorium addition: 11,200 sf
- Classroom addition: 19,800 sf
- Auxiliary Gym addition: 4,100 sf
- Office and Cafeteria remodel: 4,200 sf
DCS provided comprehensive owner’s representative services for the building and site construction, as well as financial management including bond procurement, with additional funding provided by Brighton School District 27J. Project challenges that were successfully addressed included:
- Awaiting the District bond measure to pass before incorporating the remaining scope while still keeping the project
on schedule for completion by August
- Completing the administration and cafeteria remodel during an eight-week construction duration
- Staying on schedule despite the discovery of mold, which required two weeks of mitigation during
the eight-week renovation period
- Phasing the construction of the additions around an occupied school
- Availability of labor force to address the tight schedule