Eagle County Charter Academy, (managed by Jeff Reed, DCS principal) was completed in August 2013. Mr. Reed served as principal and owner representative for the project charge consisting of a new 45,000 SF K-8 school. Classes remained in session during construction, utilizing a modular complex on the same property. This project was funded by the BEST grant program. Project objectives addressed a very aging, deteriorating modular complex with significant security concerns. The new facility provides for a highly efficient building that is twice the square footage of the current modular footprint, yet will yield lower energy costs.
Unique Project Challenges:
- Mainly geographic, as the property is landlocked on a plateau adjacent to the interstate, with only one access
shared by the operating school and construction
- As the project is in the Vail valley, winter weather and ground frost required creative scheduling to ensure
completion within the 10-month schedule
Project scope included:
- New ground-up construction of a LEED Gold certified high-performance school building.
- Management of a $11.85 million BEST grant budget
- New parking and fields to replace the modular complex during the 2013 summer break.
- Full management of design consultants, general contractor, and commissioning agent and construction process through occupancy
- Procurement and management of FF&E