Victory Preparatory Academy is a three-story, 52,000 SF charter high school in Commerce City, Colorado. It features a nontraditional design with contemporary aspects. The format is largely based on a college preparatory school, and programming follows that of a small college, with lecture halls and business-influenced curriculum. DCS provided comprehensive owner’s representative, program and project management services and served as the project civil engineer for site design and coordination.
Some of the most notable challenges that DCS successfully assisted the school in working through were:
- Site Planning: Logistical and jurisdictional challenges related to tight square footage (6-acres)
- Tight Budget: $135/SF - Certain aspects of the design were strategically delayed then added later,
once savings were realized
- Schedule: 9-Month construction schedule - Each addition to the project was carefully managed by the
DCS team to ensure an on-time delivery
- Traffic Queuing
- Fire access: Created a public drive through the middle of the site with heavy student activity
- Finding space to build an athletic field
Every square foot was critical on this project. The school’s program would normally support an at minimum, nine-acre site but there were only six acres available to work with. The team adapted to this challenge and the solution, a 3-story design of the building (which is typically unheard of with schools), allowed for us to reduce the building footprint and gain valuable site area.